Monday, June 16, 2008

Trying something new...

I noticed that both Chris Muir at Day By Day and Caleb at NRAhab are using Project Wonderful for ad space. I looked it over and thought the bid system was interesting, and decided to give it a whirl for one reason: If I was an FFL or firearms accessories-related dealer with an online presence, I'd sign up with Project Wonderful and put an ad here on VFTP where it would be seen by a couple thousand gun nuts a day at an advertising cost of diddly-squat a month.

I doubt I'll see a fraction of the return I see from Google AdSense (which doesn't quite cover the cable bill), but the way the bidding system works seems to make it perfect for targeted niche markets. Considering the number of Google hits I get from "Gewehr 71 Mauser", "11mm Gras", and ".577-450 Martini", Buffalo Arms would have to be crazy not to buy a Project Wonderful ad here. They could sell one set of RCBS dies or a box of .43 Mauser and pay for a year's worth of banners...

2 comments:

Arcadia Iris said...

I've seen Project Wonderful work for games I've played. Small online games that are good, but just don't have oodles of money from outrageous monthly membership costs, so they join Project Wonderful and their ads get seen by people who would be interested because they're already playing similar games... where they saw the ad. Since it's worked well for them, I can't see why it wouldn't work well the way you figure it.

Anonymous said...

I'm bidding around 10 or 11 cents a day for the one box I have up - I know I bought a space on Day by Day, and that was about 2 bucks.