Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Cleveland... Crap. I was still in Cleveland.

The flight from Manchester to CLE was interesting, inasmuch as the only times I've flown in planes smaller than that Embraer 145, I was wearing a headset and sitting in the right seat.

The layover in Cleveland is of the precise length to provoke misery: Not quite two hours. Long enough to feel like forever, but not long enough to make it worth going in and out of security to look up any of the peeps I know on the North Coast.

In the meantime, I sit here in the Gordon Biersch in the secure zone, looking out over the tarmac where the Saab 340 and Dash-8 puddlejumpers are being serviced and loaded via airstairs, No such luck for me though: The CLE-IND leg will be on another Embraer 145, which is exactly like a Gulfstream 550 with three or four times the seats it should have.

And yet, hey... it's still sitting in a chair... in the sky.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun times in Cleveland, everyone!

This guy has at least two DUIs.

Shootin' Buddy

Jay G said...

Shouldn't that be FUI?

Ken said...

I wanted a commuter flight, and for my sins they gave me one.

Cincinnatus said...

Brazilians. Brazilians made that airplane.

What are Brazilians known for? Besides a particular way to trim the hair ... down you know where ...

John Peddie (Toronto) said...

Nice comfy Q 400 (the updated and super quiet version of the Dash 8) with those neat six-blade props.

My daughter and I use them to fly back and forth to her home in Newfoundland which is a tad over 1,300 air miles from Toronto.

Works like a charm, even with a pit stop for fuel.

Frank W. James said...

If you fly often enough I've found those airline 'host' clubs are well worth the money during layovers for the solitude they offer as well as the free booze and the chance to catch a nap without being disturbed by nearby individuals on their cell phones or small children arguing with their minders...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

Anonymous said...

... everything is amazing right now and nobody's happy ... ;^P

Dirt Sailor said...

Great lakes brewing company has a brew pub in CLE- might be worth it next time you're there.

Tam said...

Ken,

Thank you. I would have had a sad if nobody riffed off my Apocalypse Now reference.

Drang said...

I was gonna go with "Never get out of the terminal."

Drang said...

Plus, all commercial airliners have more seats than they should. Obviously, aircraft seating arrangements are designed by short people who hate tall people.

The Old Man said...

Fatheads Brewpub is MUCH closer to the bird farm than Great lakes - and the beer is arguably better. Or Rocky River Brewing Company... Drop me an e-mail if you're staying in Cleveburg for at least a couple of hours and I'llbe more than happy to introduce you to the local brew scene.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Hey, the way things are going up here, you were probably in the best spot you could be.

Unless you WANT to participate in the Daily Eastside Shooting Contest?

Sigivald said...

"I'm still only in Cleveland."

Anonymous said...

Dortmunder Gold! Pride of the North Coast.

Ken said...

Dortmunder Gold is good lager, but give me Commodore Perry IPA ("Don't Give Up the Sip!").

Paul, Dammit! said...

They had a bar at the airport, didn't they? I don't like layovers less than 2 hours just for that reason. Gives me an excuse for showing up smelling like a still.