Sunday, September 03, 2017

Cameras...

My quest for a replacement for the Nikon P7000 continues, alas.

I really love the way the little Ricoh GR Digital II handles. I love the way it feels in the hand. I love that if the battery were to die while I was out taking snaps in Broad Ripple, it will take a pair of AAA cells in a pinch.

It's a worthy successor to the O.G. 35mm Ricoh GR, beloved of street photographers everywhere. The lens is fabulous, a sharp, fast 28mm f/2.4 equivalent...but you know what else has a fixed 29mm f/2.2 equivalent lens? My phone.

I need a zoom lens to make it worth carrying a separate camera. The Leica D-LUX 3 is a swell pocket camera and nicer than any of the little pocket cameras I carried...before the P7000. The P7000 just crushes it in image quality, handiness of controls, everything.

I note that most of the successors to the P7000 delete the optical viewfinder. I'm still in that place where I'm considering just tracking down another used P7000...
.