Thursday, December 15, 2011

Weird bout of insomnia last night...

...had me up and roaming the house between strange dreams.
  • A vast underground city, and I was in some corner of it that looked like an unfinished basement, all uneven dirt floors and bare cinderblock walls. I was there for an IDPA match that Robb Allen had invited me to, and I was thinking, "Man, this ceiling's awful low... double up on the hearing protection for sure."

  • A huge cruise ship that departed from this little seaport at the end of a long fjord, and the thing was, you could board it by strapping yourself to an experienced skydiver and tandem-parasailing down onto the deck from these towering cliffs that loomed right over the water at the entrance to the fjord, where it was barely wide enough to accommodate the ship. The person I was with talked me into doing this, which was no mean feat because I do not like heights, Not One Little Bit, so I kept my eyes closed the whole way down until I was safely at poolside on the fantail.

16 comments:

Steve said...

Speaking of skydiving:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/familyjoules/6167468961/in/set-72157627542370313

I never hesitate to share! That was September 10. I have 12 jumps now and I'm doing 10 second free falls from 5,500 feet. I hit terminal velocity of 120 mph. Heights? It's only a mile up! :)

Carteach said...

Yah... I wake that way a lot. This morning, it was teaching fan motor operations to a mixed class of high school students and bobble headed adults. The high school students were asleep and the adults were... well... fascinated bobble heads.

Freaky.

Bob said...

The second dream was presumably inspired by that People Are Awesome video you posted yesterday.

blindshooter said...

Swiss cheese at night will do that to me.

Ritchie said...

"A vast underground city, and I was in some corner of it that looked like an unfinished basement, all uneven dirt floors and bare cinderblock walls. "
The Morlock Match?

Anonymous said...

Like Bob said - you've been watching that People Are Awesome video too much.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Steve -- it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. :)

Anonymous said...

No more fried okra and anchovie pizza after 10pm for you, young lady!

FormerFlyer

Cincinnatus said...

Speaking of your second dream, have you seen the video of the guys with the flying suits?

Anonymous said...

When your eyes are closed during a dream, does it just get dark or does your mind "see" something?

Terry

Brad K. said...

The cruise ship thing is divided; you identify with your fear of tall rocks and stupid stunts -- at the same time you take charge, take control, and competently deliver the part of you that carries the fears. Remember, you are all the people in your dream, the parasailing partner is another side of you that you don't pay enough attention to. Most of us here recognize the competence that doesn't flinch without reason, that is a part of you that you might treasure more.

The setting, of course, is that silly, decadent, playboy stunt clip you shared.

Cheers!

atlharp said...

It must have been a dream because you showed up at an IDPA match. ;-)

Tam said...

atlharp,

And why wouldn't I show up at an IDPA (or USPSA, or Bowling Pin, or... well... pretty much anything other than Bullseye, which is a bit too much like having glue injected into your veins for me to enjoy...) match?

Tam said...

(Other than wanting to sleep in on weekends and not having anyone to go with, that is.)

RobertSlaughter said...

That "fjord with a cruise ship" sounds like Skagway AK, home of one end of the White Pass and Yukon railroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skagway,_Alaska

Anonymous said...

So you were in Seattle?