Saturday, July 02, 2016

We get letters...

From an email reply to a reader this AM who wondered why I "shoot left with Glocks" and am knocking the factory sights on Glocks when he does okay with  the sights on his 26...
"Dear Reader,
If you look at the picture, the Glock 32 group is left-of-center, while the Glock 17 group, despite being shot at .3-.5 split pace, is pretty well centered. If you go back and look at all the Glock 37 pics, they're all nicely centered, too. Of course, it has real sights on it as well.
The factory Glock sights (which, in addition to being flimsy, have that ridiculously busy "dot-and-U" setup where the white markings don't actually correlate to the physical alignment of the sights*) on the 32 are misaligned. Since I do not carry the gun and am eventually going to put some real sights on it, I am not bothering to drift them. I hold a consistent sight picture and the bullets impact a consistent area and that's all I need.
-T.
*If you line the top of the dot up with the top of the vertical arms of the "U", which is what the eye wants to do at speed, the top of the front sight blade will actually be proud of the notch and shots will go high. If you alight[sic] the top of the front blade with the top of the rear blade in a correct "equal height, equal light" sight picture, the bottom of the dot on the front blade is actually below the bottom edge of the notch in the rear blade. It's a lousy sight setup, but Glock refuses to change it because Perfection. Personally, I think that the tendency of the sights to shoot high at speed is built in to counteract the fact that most people can't shoot and are going to start cranking them low and left any time the pace picks up faster than a slow crawl."
Since that's a jillion keystrokes I'll never get back, I might as well recycle them here.

(I can't believe I typed "alight" instead of "align". Once I became a jackleg touch-typist, my fingers were free to commit all kinds of odd errors, since they were no longer under visual supervision and my brain is usually several words ahead of them.)
.