Saturday, January 07, 2017

A new...and still growing...project.

The modular nature of Sig Sauer's P250 and P320 series of pistols makes for some interesting testing possibilities. How much influence does caliber play in that elusive category "shootability"? We like to talk about how much easier the 9x19mm cartridge is to shoot than, say, .40, but exactly how much? How much more "shootable" is a compact than a subcompact? How much less than a full-size?

The fact that the DAO P250 and the striker-fired P320 use the exact same frame modules expands the comparison possibilities. Given identical frames and chamberings and (that bugaboo of internet gun forum discussions) bore axes, how much more shootable is the striker-fired gun?

To this end, I had Sig ship me a 9mm Compact P250 Caliber X-Change kit for the .380 I already had on hand, as well as full-size .357SIG Caliber X-Change kits for both the P250 and P320. There'll be a lot of timed and scored shooting by myself and as many shooters of varying skill levels as I can rope into this over the coming months.

I have some thoughts I'll flesh out more in future posts, and I'm interested to see how they bear up in the cold light of day.

The TulAmmo, by the way, functions fine in the Sig magazines; neither gun suffered any malfunctions and the rounds slid smoothly in the mags with no binding. Which is good, because I finished up that Glock 19 test with three hundred and fifty rounds left out of that case.

Shooting at a 1-rd/sec cadence, I discovered two things right off the bat: The Dawsons on my P320C need the rear sight drifted slightly to the right, and it's really hard to keep a rolling 1-rd/sec cadence up with a seven-pound DAO trigger immediately after doing it with a tuned 3# Grayguns race trigger.
.